MY FIRST MONTH AS A VEGETARIAN
One of my goals for 2017 was to try vegetarianism for one entire month, that meant eating a plant based diet while completely removing meat and fish from my meals. On the cusp of “New Year Resolution January” I decided February would be my goal, bonus, it is the shortest month in the year.
One key to my success was knowing that I wasn’t committed to this diet forever, I only had to get through 28 days as a vegetarian and then reflect on the experience. I did not put pressure on myself to continue beyond this short time period. This made the changes easier to accept.
WHAT I NOTICED:
- Pinterest became by bestfriend, take a look at some of my favourite healthy plant based recipes here
- My skin cleared up
- I found mental clarity
- Day 5 was tough, tip: stay close to a bathroom
- I lost a bit of weight
- I started taking vitamins, (B12 & D)
- I had more energy than before, I didn’t crash at 3pm like I usually do
- I felt inspired to learn more about how eating less meat benefits the world, your health and the animals
There were only two occasions where I was tempted to cheat, but I stayed strong and found the experience to be easier than I expected. I’m proud to say I made it through the first month and I’m well into the second.